Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Silverware Windchimes

Last year I wanted to make some vintage spoon bracelets and got a great deal on a lot of silverware on Ebay.  Somewhere along the line I saw a set of windchimes made with silverplate and decided to make one for my mother-in-law for Christmas to use the various bits and pieces of silverware that I didn't use for bracelets.  It wasn't too hard to make--although bending the fork tines was a bit ouchy on my hands. I used beads that I had lying around the house.  It was just handy that I had enough to make this! 

They sound really gentle and pretty.


Might just have to make a set for us!

To make:

You need:  A piece of iron.  2 sterling dinner forks.  4 assorted shorter forks/spoons/knives.  Pliers.  Leather.  Drill and drill bit (teensy.  1/16 I think I used).  Hammer.  Fishing twine.  Beads.  Scissors.

Get yourself a piece of iron. I had a small piece from a railroad track. Worked great! Wrap a piece of silverware in the leather, lay it on the piece of iron, and pound it flat with a hammer.  Repeat with each piece of silverware.

Drill a small hole in the top of the handle and center and just above the tines of a fork.  Do the same with the handle of another fork.

Wrap the fork handle with a piece of leather to help grip into the vise and avoid tool marks.

Stick the fork handle into the vise right up to the tines.  Bend the tines, center ones forward and back and side ones outwards.  A lot of elbow grease works, as does a hammer.  Just be sure to cover the tines with leather if using a hammer of pliers to avoid tool marks.

Bend and curl the tines using pliers . 
Be sure to put the leather between the pliers and the silverware to avoid tool marks.

Repeat with second fork.

Drill holes in the handle of 4 assorted spoons/forks/butter knives.

Tie the pieces together with fishing twine and beads as shown in the photo. 
I twisted a piece of wire through the top fork and decorated with a large bead for hanging.

Polish well with silver polish.

Voila!  A unique and pretty gift for a garden lover.

Note:  If I were to do it again, I might drill a little hole in each fork tine of the forks that I'll be curling before I curl them.  That way it would be easier and nicer looking when attaching the chime parts.  Just a thought.




3 comments:

Dacey said...

Very beautiful wind chime.I really like it.It is far more unique than other wind chimes.Since it has various things that we use in our day today life

Lucy said...

What beautiful wind chimes, I would love to make these and it would be a great project to make. Though Im going to have to get some older Knifes and forks. These modern style ones are boring.

Lynn said...

Lucy, the modern ones are really hard to work with as well--almost impossible--because they're stainless steel. You're going to want to get silverplate. I got mine on Ebay for a fairly good price. Have fun!