Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Scheme

Found this piece of paper under the table the other day:


We're in trouble.

In other news:

Our Thanksgiving table was groaning.

Good food, good friends, good reasons to be grateful.


I wet brined the turkey with  water, salt, apple cider vinegar, and herbs , then minced some garlic, mixed with olive oil, and rubbed/smeared it under the skin.  Then inserted sage leaves and thyme sprigs under there too.  It felt weird to be up to my forearm between the meat and skin, I must say, but it really wasn't difficult.  Filled cavity with onion wedges, parsnip and carrot pieces, and more sage leaves.  This is going to be my go-to turkey recipe for the rest of my life.



No idea why these are watermarked--but OK!!  On the left, pumpkin thyme rolls.  Salad was pear and candied pecans with a balsamic vinaigrette.  I have decided never to use a potato masher again after using a ricer this time.  I was sick of mashing and mashing and still getting lumps.  BUT, stick the cooked spuds through the ricer, stir in the butter and milk and...NO LUMPS!  I'm converted. 

And yes, that IS my ironing board still set up against the wall.  *sticks jaw out*  So?? 

But I digress.


How to set a Thanksgiving table on a budget:  Cool tan plates from Goodwill.  Napkins on sale at Boscov's for $3.99/4.  Embroidered with turkeys.  Loved.  Place cards by Martha Stewart online templates.  Wheat.  Candle in vases filled half way with corn.  Table linens on sale for 90% off everywhere after Halloween (paid $2 for the dark brown cloth and about the same for the runner), leaves from Dollar Tree and lo, a harvest table!  There's something to be said for procrastinating, as long as you don't have rigid expectations.  HA!

And in other news:

Was blessed to be able to take birth story photos this past weekend of a family expecting twins.  Felt so privileged to be able to document such a special moment.  I'll post a few discrete photos in the next day or so.  Those twins are the sweetest!

No comments: