Thursday, October 15, 2009

Day 37: My Honey (Crisp)

When I was growing up in northern British Columbia, the only apples we would get were of the macintosh variety.  When we were feeling particularly decadent, we would find granny smiths.  That was it.  That's all that was shipped up there. Even when I lived in Edmonton for a few years, the only apples we could find were, you guessed it, macs and grannies.  When my horizons had the opportunity to be expanded in the apple tasting department while living in Vancouver, guess what I always chose?  Yup.  Macs and grannies.  I just figured that those were the kinds to cook with--macs for baking and grannies for eating.  And the occasional fugi.  Oh--I guess I'm selling things a bit short.  We also could purchase red and golden delicious.  My mistake.

Needless to say, I wasn't a big apple fan.  I thought there had to be more than somewhat soggy or downright sour. 

Then I moved here to PA.  Holy camoly.  There were apples that I'd never heard of, let alone tasted.  You're going to laugh, because they probably sound pretty standard to you!  Braeburn.  Fuji (every day, not just on occasion).  Pink lady.  Pippin.  Cortland.  Ginger Gold (yum!) and on and on.  I've fallen into apple heaven.

The other day, my husband brought home a few honey crisp apples.  And I'm in love.

Crispy, crunchy, sweet and tangy goodness.

Here's a picture (or two--I had trouble with this one!  LOL).  I'm afraid it's the least attractive pomme of the bunch.  I had already eaten the rest.



7 comments:

kathryn said...

Woah. I've never heard of Honey Crisp apples...but I bet I'd LOVE 'em! I love Gala and Cortland for baking (Not that I know how to bake, but I can flw directions...does that count?)
I'm gonna have to look for the honey crisp ones...I wonder if they have 'em here in NY??

Lynn said...

If we can get them in Johnstown, of all places, I'm sure you'd have no trouble getting them in NY. Try BJs. ;o)

;) said...

Always taste new... apples ? A lesson of life ? ha ha

Anonymous said...

My wife and I love Honeycrisp apples, but they are seasonal and very difficult to find. And expensive. But when we see them, we buy a couple dozen and enjoy.

Stephen Tremp

Lynn said...

So true, Otli. As long as they're not of the horse variety, in which case I suggest leaving them alone. ;o)
Stephen: Welcome! I should give away a prize to you for making my head collection an even 10. :o) Aw man--do you mean I'll have to wait until next Fall? I have no idea how expensive they are or when they're here, but this is the first time I've seen or tasted one, so you're probably right. I'm afraid I'm just going to have to close my eyes to the price and pay up, though. Definitely worth the price, these babies.

SquirrelQueen said...

Honeycrisp are my favorites. I'm surprised you never saw then in BC, I bought them when I lived in Portland, OR. And just today I bought some locally grown honecrisp at our farmers' market. I'm in SE WA state and this area produces huge apple crops.

Judy

Lynn said...

SquirrelQueen, I was living up in the north of the province growing up, and the selection is really limited due to the cost of getting produce--or anything--up there. I'm not sure why I didn't luck out in Vancouver, though. One would think there would be a good selection there--maybe I just wasn't looking in the right markets!