Thursday, March 10, 2011

In a pinch, at first.


In my so organized and extremely together state, I made pancakes a few weeks ago.  Looked forward to the crisp pancakes with syrup.  Yum.  As the pancakes were cooking, I went for the syrup and...

Crumbs.

I had forgotten that I was out.

What to DOOOO? 

So onto the internet I went, and found a recipe for homemade pancake syrup.  It was to be made in a pinch, not as a regular staple.  The batch that I made that day was really too sweet, but the kids liked it OK. When we went to the store to get syrup, I asked them whether I should just make some again (way cheaper!) or get our usual.  They decided that they liked the homemade stuff, and although it tasted different, they'd get used to it. 

Last week I made it again, only without as much sugar and with a bit of salt to cut the sweet.

It's really good.  Definitely more than comparable to the stuff in the stores.

I'm afraid it has corn syrup in it, so if you're squeamish about that sort of thing, this recipe is not for you.  But then again, the stuff in the store has corn syrup, too.  So.

Here's the recipe:

1-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 cup water
1 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon maple flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
A good pinch of salt

In a saucepan,  stir and cook the sugars, water, and corn syrup over medium heat until boils.  Boil for about 7 minutes, until slightly thickened.  Add extract.  I think I add a bit more of the maple than the recipe.  Taste and see what's good for you.  Add the salt.  Stir well.  Cool for a few minutes.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

CJN Enterprises said...

Hey, are you friends with Carla Stonehocker? She just got her grandmother's recipe for maple syrup from a friend. No corn syrup. I can send it to you if you want to do a comparison trial?

Bobbi-Jo

Lynn said...

I knew Carla, but we're not FB friends. I'll have to look her up! I'd love a comparison trial, if you wouldn't mind sending the recipe along. :o)

A Box of Chocolates said...

my healthy low fat weight losing breakfast is now spoiled as I drool over your delish looking crunchy syrup drizzled beauties yumo