Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day 96: Baking frenzy

Today was such a good day!  When we stepped outside to go to church today, the stairs and walk were a sheet of ice.  Hubs took Julia's hand to go down the stairs, and just as I opened my mouth to ask Adam to wait (I had arms full of bags), he took the first step.  It was one of those moments where you wish you had the camera recorder on.  Before I go on, let me just say that he wasn't hurt and turned around at the bottom laughing.    Anyway.  He took the step and landed on his bottom with his legs sticking out to the sides, and slid like he was on a slide, down each step.  At each bump, he'd let out an "Uff,"  "Woah!"  "Uff!" until he got to the bottom.  I wish I was a good enough writer to describe it so you could really get a sense of the scenem but let me assure you that it was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

OK.  We get to church, early because hubby has early meetings, and after about 45 minutes, they decided because of the freezing rain to cancel.  So we came home just when we'd normally be getting there!  And then the fun began.  We kicked on the Christmas music, tied on our aprons, fired up the oven, and spent literally the entire day filling the air with the intoxicating scent of cloves, ginger, and sugar. It was such a blessing, because I have been so busy with work that I really didn't know when I'd be able to do any baking this year.  Gingersnaps, sugar cookies, peppermint candy cane cookies, pecan tassies, and snowballs later, Christmas can arrive anytime.  It smells right. 

We had an absolute ball.  Here are a few pictures:















Snowballs sans snow.  Which reminds me that I put them in the walk-out to cool.  Better go rescue them and dress them up.  :o)  Nighters!

6 comments:

;) said...

Miam miam...

Paul Wynn said...

Ah Why are you doing this to me! I'm on a diet! It can't crash after 4 days... I'm going for some cookies...

Anonymous said...

This kind of moment creates the perfect Christmas memory! You're going to hear "remember the time church was cancelled and we spent the day baking cookies?" over and over again. What a great mom you are!

Anonymous said...

Back home in Germany teachers would take their students, mostly until fourth grade, to visit a backery and make some cookies on their own - thank you for this memory very much.
A wonderful Tuesday for you all and much pleasure while 'eating your work'.

Lynn said...

Otli: That's an easy one to translate. Sounds much better in french, I must say. But then, so does everything!

Paul: You're not supposed to go on a diet in December. I'm happy that I helped you see the light. Diets are for January. Now go grab a gingersnap.

Jane: It was a cookie baking kind of day, what can I say? It's one of those things where you think that having the kids' help might impede your ability to get everything done, but then you decide that whether everything is done right or not is a nonissue, you let yourself just go along with the ride and have a good time, and it ends up being a bit of Sunday Magic. I need to get over myself and my need to get things done in a timely manner more often. Half the time it doesn't really matter that much to slooow doooown a bit and enjoy the moment.

Lynn said...

Robert: That's great! What a fun thing to do. As far as eating our work, I think we're already in need of more snowballs and gingersnaps. Scary.