Friday, April 23, 2010

Day 224: Time Out for Women

On the way to BC, I have the opportunity to attend Time Out For Women.

Just a couple of photos from my point and shoot of the speakers and such.

First, Ardeth Kapp.  She holds a special place in the heart of my family.  When I was a teenager, I met her at a Young Women's conference.  She is such a wonderful speaker and writer!  Also, at one point, I can't remember how many years ago it was, but I must have been living in Alberta, her husband was the mission president of the Canada Vancouver mission.  As they travelled around the province, she met my mom on occasion as mom ferried the missionaries to Prince George to conferences.

When I spoke with Sister Kapp today, she was so excited to see someone from the mission where she served, and to meet my  mom's daughter, since enjoyed her time with mom so much.  She gave me a huge hug and wanted to know all the news of the family.


Awesome lady.

***

John Bytheway.  Much to everyone's delight as well as his own, he came up with a new joke on his name.


I laughed so hard at this man.  Inspiring and funny.  So very, very quick on the uptake.  I wanted him to speak forever.

***

This is a wonderful singer, Dallyn Vail Bayles.  He is currently on tour with Phantom of the Opera, and has done bunches of different things.  Great voice.


I tried to find a Youtube clip, and there are a couple, but they really don't show the best of his voice, I don't think.  He has a really rich, strong, tenor.  Those high notes?  Swoon.

One piece that really touched me was a sweet and simple version of the children's primary song " I'm trying to be like Jesus."  I've known this song since I was a kid, but he reminded us tonight through this song that this is something we should be striving for even as adults.

"Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught."

I think I should be more mindful of this, especially when my first reaction is to be impatient, especially with my children.  It was a beautiful reminder that showing love and being kind are attributes meant for everyone.

No comments: