Thursday, September 23, 2010

Crafty math

4 broken drill bits + 3 pieces of damaged silverware + 2 sore thumbs = 1 vintage-spoon bracelet.


When I finally figured out how to do it, it really wasn't that hard.  It just took some figuring out.  There are obviously things that I need to work on, but for a first one, I don't think it's so bad!  Definitely need different wire, though.  The wire I used turned all coppery as soon as I bent it, and I think a larger gauge would be better.  And I want to learn how to solder jump rings to make the clasp a little nicer looking.  Still and all, I'm pretty happy with the result.  If you have any tips on soldering or wire work, please let me know!  I can use the assist. 

9 comments:

Erika Jean said...

Love it! It turned out really nice. I always am tempted to by silverware jewelry at craft fairs.

Anonymous said...

Concratulations upon this achievment. Unique indeed.

likeschocolate said...

Very creative!

Charlotte said...

That is cool! You made it from silverware? Wow.

Lynn said...

Thanks, guys! Like Erika Jean, I saw some at a craft fair and thought about buying one, then decided to try to make one first. Once I had the proper drill bits and remembered to turn the drill back to drilling FORWARD after having had it in reverse (!!) it wasn't that hard. A bit finicky bending it over the pipe, but I think the whole thing took less than an hour to make, once I figured out how.

Elizabeth Halt said...

Wow, wow, wow!

Joanne said...

Very pretty ... I haven't seen a spoon bracelet in years. I wish I still had the one I wore back in the day.

Lynn said...

Elizabeth: Thank you!

Joanne: They're the new big thing at craft fairs now. You'd be right in style! Today when I dropped my son off, I saw a guy with a key clip made out of an old fork. He let me look at it, and I think I'm going to try making one today.

Amynonymous said...

That is beautiful! I've never seen anything like it!