Sunday, September 19, 2010

On its way


Don't get me wrong, here. I love winter.  I love the snow, I love the crispness in the air, I love Christmas.  I love sledding and building snowmen and going for snowy walks and making snow ice cream and all those winter things.  Love them!

But I have to admit that after last winter, which seemed extra long, when I saw these the other day, my heart sank just a little bit, I have to admit.  I've gotten so used to the warmth, you see. 

But then I thought about the next month, with the amazing blaze of color that is just starting to show itself, and I realized that the reason we're given the wonderful Autumn time is to help give us the energy and BOOST we need to make it through the winter.

And what's with all the kamikaze squirrels, chipmunks, and other critters these days?  They're so busy gathering and racing around that they're completely ignoring cross walks, and some have unfortunately paid the price.  I don't know how many times I've had to slow down or stop so as not to squish the little critters, and yesterday one was sitting right there in the middle of the road, nut in jaws, not moving.  I beeped the horn at him, and Julia giggled when she saw the startled thing come to its senses and scurry off to safety.

The smell of bonfires is intoxicating, the crisp air is invigorating, and the leaves are breathtaking.

So I guess I'll take it!

3 comments:

kathryn said...

Well, yes. Autumn is a beautiful season. Yes, I too love the smell of bonfires and hot cocoa and that early morning announcement that school is cancelled.

It's the snow/ice/hail/treacherous conditions I despise. Oh, don't get me started.

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful photo. Thanks for coming over my blog, I have missed you!
I know I was inactive for a long while but I'm back and blogging again, hope to see you around some more, and I'll come and visit you as well.

-Corina from Trough The Photographs

;) said...

I'll take it as well, waiting for spring...