Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 331: A little slice of paradise

Posting yesterday's photo today.  I'm still not 100% well, I don't think, and when the kids went to bed, so did I.

So--here's yesterday's photo, of one of my favorite recipes ever EVER!  And because I love you I'm even going to share the recipe!

OK. Here's the photo of a Nanaimo Bar.


Those of you who live in British Columbia and have these at every party you go to and know the recipe like the back of your hand can go and do your nails or something now.  But let me tell you, if you live somewhere else and have never had these before--trust me.  You're going to want to bookmark this. 

The thing is, one of the ingredients you can only get in certain parts of the world, and the US grocery store is not one of them.  I keep stocked by getting some when I go home to Canada.  You may need to order it in.  Or grab a can when you go to Canada or Great Britain.  Or better yet, book a flight right NOW to Canada or Great Britain just to get some!  British Columbia is beautiful this time of year, and summer isn't quite over!

But I digress.

*ahem* The Recipe

BOTTOM LAYER

Melt together 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter, and 5 TBSP of cocoa powder.

Add one beaten egg.  Cook and stir until thickened.

Add 1-3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs and 3/4 cup coconut.  You can add some nuts, too, but I don't.  Press into an ungreased 9 inch pan.  Or be a wuss like me and cover the bottom with waxed paper, and then when you're ready to slice them at the end, dump the whole thing on a cutting board and peel of the paper before flipping it right side up and cutting.  I hate even the possibility of these sticking to the pan. Even though chances are they won't.  Carry on.

Chill for 1/2 an hour.  Or do as I did last night when I was in a bit of a rush and throw it in the freezer for a bit.

SECOND LAYER

Cream together 2 cups icing sugar, 1/2 cup softened butter, 3 TBSP cream or milk, and 2 TBSP of Bird's Custard Powder (That's the secret ingredient. Go to the handy-dandy link to order it. I tried Amazon, and it was twice the price!  Whaaaat?)

THIRD LAYER

Melt together 2/3 cup chocolate chips and 2 Tbsp butter and spread over the top.  This batch I was in a rush and to make it easier to spread--and because I like chocolate--I doubled the chocolate/butter bit.  Sue me!

After you've chilled it a bit, cut it into little pieces because it's really rich and you don't need much.

Then lock yourself in a room with the whole darn thing and don't come out until it's gone.

(In the picture you can see the top looks kind of damp?  It's because I was in a hurry, trying to make this FAST for the RS dinner, and I threw it in the freezer.  Uh--yeah.  Don't do that if you don't want little condensation drops on your chocolate.)

OK.  Now I'm off for leftovers.

Photo for today later!

No comments: