Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day 345: A visitor

"...I spied two tiny pale-green creatures.  Their eyes seemed to be weak, for they both wore black goggles..."


..."They had six legs apiece--two short ones, two not so short, and two very long.  These last legs had joints like the springs to buggy tops; and as  watched, they began walking up the rush, and then I saw that they moved exactly like an old-fashioned gig.  In fact, if I hadn't been too big, I think I should have heard them creak as they went along."


"...They didn't say anything so long as I was there, but the moment my back was turned they began to quarrel again, and in the same old words--'Katy did'.' 'Katy didn't.'  'She did.'  'She didn't.'"




Bye to you as well, Mr. Katydid.  Thanks for the visit!  And for reminding me again of one of my favorite books, "What Katy Did," by Susan Coolidge.  When I was a child, my great-grandmother Schreiber gave me a first edition of this book.  I treasured it--but somewhere along the way it disappeared. I still have a newer addition, though, which I have shared with my daughter.  The story of willful Katy, who always gets into scrapes but who grows into a thoughtful, giving, young woman when confronted with a difficult trial has been one that I go back to over and over. 

And since living here in PA, I've seen a real, live katydid twice!  Once on a water fountain at an ice cream stop, and now right here on my front porch.  He made my day!

(note to self:  Sort out aperture and depth of field when in macro. I'm always too shallow and end up with out of focus bits.)

5 comments:

kathryn said...

Oh, they honestly look cross-eyed in that first photo!

Amazing shots, sweetie....and how do I not remember that book? Now I feel deprived. I'll have to find it at the library.

Anonymous said...

wow ! About a year since last seen over here. Remember from back home in Germany, we called him Mr. Hobbes. Please have you all a good Thursday.

;) said...

Nice shots !

A Box of Chocolates said...

cute little guys

likeschocolate said...

Great photos!